Luck of the Irish
March 7, 2012
The Cheltenham Festival takes place from March 13th – 16th, 2012. With a reputation for being one of the biggest racing events on the calendar, it’s also a prime time for those looking to back and lay. The Supreme Novices Hurdle happens next Tuesday afternoon, on Champions Day. We did some digging and came up with the following stats that might help you when it comes to picking the winners. We’ll be putting up a post for each market on our site, so remember to check back daily.
- 9 of the 11 past winners since 2000 were aged 5 or 6 (except for when horses were owned by JP McManus)
- Favourites have a poor record – the last favourite to win the race was Brave Inca in 2004.
- 12 out of the 18 past runners at Cheltenham were first time runners
- Paul Nicholls has trained 2 of the past 6 winners
- 13 of the past 15 winners won on their last time out (past 45 days)
- 8 of the past 10 last winners were National Hunt bred
- Horses from Ireland have won on 10 out of the past 18 runnings
- Since 2000, Paul Carberry and Ruby Walsh have both won twice